Andorra – a new tourist destinaiton in Europe, and a tax paradise
This small country situated in Pyrenees Mountains, between Spain and France, is an ideal place for a winter holiday. Sunny, with lots of great ski slopes, spa, excellent food, influenced by the gastronomies of the neighbouring countries, and a favourable tax system, which makes a purchase of for instance cameras and perfumes extra cheap. Prices are up to 30% lower than in many countries.
Principality of Andorra
has about 72 thousands citizens, and area of 468 sq. metres (182 sq.mi)
Andorra la Vella (the capital, a shopping and entertainment centre)
Grandvalira (ski resort, 200 km of slopes)
Vallnord (ski resort, 90 km of slopes)
about 200 hotels, hostels and tourist apartments of different class are awaiting their guests. Cabins and a campsite in the valleys (a free camping is prohibited).
- skiing, snowboarding, dog sleigh rides, among others. (Ski season: from first week of December to beginning of May).
- trekking, mountain bicycling, canoeing and waterfalls descents, are only the few of them.
- In Caldea, at an altitude of 1,100 m, there is the largest spa centre in southern Europe (open all year round).
- Naturlàndia (in la Rabassa mountain) has 15 km of slopes, multi-activity centre, the longest alpine coaster in the world, Tobotronc. Theme park Inuit Park.
- Sight-seeing: Historical buildings, such as Romanesque church of Sant Joan de Caselles in Canillo, or Santa Coloma (Andorra la Vella). Andorra has approx 40 churches from the early medieval era.
- Visiting old iron mines (Mina de Llorts).
Getting here and getting around
Flight to Barcelona (Spain); Toulouse or Perpignan (France), then bus or shared taxi. Train to Hospitalet de l'Infant (Spain), L'Ospitalet (France), then bus. Within Andorra, there are several bus lines (express buses, night buses) connecting the capital with other destinations.
Eat & Drink
Andorra, and especially its capital, became a little paradise also when it comes to food and nighlife. There are over 200 restaurants; outside Andorra la Vella, many restaurants are situated in former mountain homes, called bordas, and serve traditional Andorran dishes. The most famous restaurant is perhaps Roc de les Bruixes, situated above the ski station in the village Canillo.
A wide range of nightclubs, discos, pubs and bars. Live music, karaoke, bowling alleys, skating etc. It is safe too, since Andorra is one of the safest countries around.
Dry mountain climate. A high percentage of sunny days, especially in winter. The average annual minimum is -2ºC and the average maximum is 24ºC.
Calling code: 376
Time zone: UTC+1
Language: Catalan and French